Our hospital as an institution has been providing health services for nearly five centuries and has been in the service of our people and medicine with its modern building in the newly opened Sultangazi Campus. It has been called by different names from time to time.


The Symbol of Female Compassion, Haseki Hospital:

Our women have helped the sick and the poor with their hospitals (hospitals) and social aid institutions throughout history. One of them is the Hasekisi of Suleiman the Magnificent, II. Selim's mother is "Hürrem Şah", that is, "Haseki Sultan." Haseki Sultan had Mimar Sinan built a mosque, madrasah, imaret, primary school, and hospital in Avratpazarı where Haseki Hospital is located. When the fame of the district exceeded the name of the district, the region began to be called "Haseki".

The construction of Haseki Sultan Hospital was completed in 1550. It changed its name per its changing function over time. In his foundation dated 1551; It is clearly stated that Darussifa is a general treatment institution. As health personnel in the foundation, Two doctors, one kehhal (ophthalmologist), one surgeon, one pharmacist, four nurses, and two attendants are envisaged. According to the conditions of the foundation, the number of people working in the hospital, together with the administrative and auxiliary staff, is 28 and this number has increased over time.

Darussifa was allocated to women in 1843. After this date, it became a women's hospital treating orphans, in need of care, homeless patients, and helpless women.

In Haseki Dungeon" among the people. At one point, two wards of the detention center were evacuated and turned into a thirty-bed hospital, and the sick prisoners were divided into women. In official correspondence, the name “Nisa Hospital Located in Haseki Tevfikhanesi” was used. Patients hospitalized in the years when they were affiliated with the Registrar's Office were treated by police officers and from time to time female patients who applied from outside were given polyclinic services. During this period, physicians could not provide regular treatment because they could come to the hospital every 10-15 days due to other duties. First, a pharmacist and Dr. Kiyako were appointed in 1871, and in 1872 a second physician was assigned a permanent status.1869, it took over the administration of the Zaptiye Musirligi and took the name "Nisa Prison". It was now known as "

In March 1880, the management of the hospital was transferred to Şehremaneti (municipality). Patients and convicted women were transferred to the newly built Nisa Prison in Sultanahmet. Darussifa, which was ruined due to lack of care, started to be accepted.

Şehremaneti bought and repaired the mansion of Ali Sefik Bey, Moralı, in 1884.

 Thus, in 1885, the bed capacity increased to 100. After a while, this mansion, which was an old building, could not meet the needs and was demolished in 1889. A part of the garden of the Salih Pasha Mansion next to it was expropriated. According to the plan of Architect Patrocle Kompanaki on this plot, a modern hospital was started to be built in the pavilion system, which was very popular in Europe in those years. 

According to the plan, the hospital would include twelve wooden wards, an operating room, a sterilization room, a two-story civil servants' office, and a pauper's pavilion.

 In January 1891, internal medicine and external diseases pavilions, operating room, civil servants' office, and some outbuildings were put into service. The highly modern operating room was built with a domed ceiling, painted with oil, and the walls were covered with glass, very suitable for sterilization. Asepsis and antisepsis were applied here for the first time in our country. The number of beds increased to 200 and in 1893, patients were accepted to the pavilions. In the great earthquake of 1894, the Darussifa building was evacuated when it suffered great damage.            

The hospital was built in 1908 by II. After the proclamation of the Constitutional Monarchy, it was attached to the ‘’Müessesat-ı Hayriye-i Sıhhiyye Müdüriyeti’’, which was established under the municipality.

The poor and disabled who live here were transferred to Darulaceze. Thus, the number of beds was increased to 250. The area between Sulu Konak was included in the hospital and the kitchen on the street was turned into a polyclinic.


In the back, a large kitchen and staff housing was built.

The wooden pavilions were repaired in 1910 and the Darussifa building, which was empty in 1911-1913.

The historical hospital building was started to be used for the observation and isolation of mentally ill patients with the name of "Haseki Meccanın Müşahedehanesi".

Nurettin Bey Pavilion, the foundation of which was laid in 1911, could not be completed due to the intervening Balkan and World Wars; it was only able to enter service in 1924.

With this fifty-bed pavilion, the number of beds increased to three hundred.


A fire in 1918 ruined the historic Darussifa building again. It was repaired in 1946 with the efforts of Lutfi Kirdar, the Governor and Mayor of the period, and it was put into operation again in 1948.

The name of the hospital in the early years of the Republic "Republic of Turkey Istanbul Sehremaneti Hasekinis Hospital";

In the 1930s, it became the "Haseki Women's Hospital".

In the University Reform in 1933, when the Faculty of Medicine, located in Haydarpasa, was transferred to the Istanbul side, the faculty's obstetrics, treatment and pharmacology, and 2nd External Clinics were placed in Haseki Hospital.

The ward's lodgings were demolished and an amphitheater for two hundred people was built instead. Soon, a thirty-five-bed Septic Maternity Service was opened in 1935, with a floor added to its upper floor. The work done by the Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinic from here until it moved to Cerrahpasa in 1967, gave the hospital the appearance of a maternity hospital.

To understand the Claxon Ban that was put into practice in Istanbul in 1951 (in 1952 when Fahrettin Kerim Gokay was the governor and mayor), a building whose construction started in the hospital garden was symbolically called the "Klakson Ban Pavilion". The construction was completed in a short time with the donations added to the fund from the municipality. The Klakson Ban Pavilion was put into service on 23 November 1953 with a ceremony.

In 1962, a second floor with sixty beds was built on this pavilion. When Istanbul University Medical Faculty Gynecology Clinic moved to Cerrahpasa in 1967, a new Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinic was opened here to serve the local people.

Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, Electro-encephalography and Myelography Center in 1965, and Psychology Laboratory in 1968 were established within the hospital.

In 1972, the Nureddin Bey Pavilion became operational. The Darussifa building was repaired in 1946 and re-used as the outpatient clinic of Haseki Hospital.

Foundations were allocated to their courses.

Haseki Hospital, which was transferred to the Ministry of Health with the protocol signed in 1994, was transformed into a training hospital. In 1998, it continued its activities under the name of Haseki Training and Research Hospital.

Haseki Kulliye, affiliated with the administration, was put into general repair in 1963. After the works were completed, Darussifa Building was rented by the Directorate of Religious Affairs in 1974 and gave religious education.


The foundation of the Additional-Service building, which was opened at the beginning of 2006, was laid in 1985, during the period of Op. Dr.Alaattin Yavasca as Chief Physician. The project, which had been waiting as a rough construction for a long time, was revived during the period of Op. Dr.Haldun Ertürk as Chief Physician. After the necessary protocols were signed and the necessary allowance was provided from the Provincial Special Administration, it was tendered in 2004 and took its current form in a short time. Orthopedics and Traumatology, ENT, Neurosurgery, Eye, Urology and General Surgery Clinics are located in this building. In the additional service building; 114 patient rooms (with bathroom, toilet, telephone, and television), 206 patient beds, Operating Room consisting of 14 halls, Intensive Care and Reanimation Unit with 16 beds, Biochemistry, Clinical Biochemistry, and Microbiology Laboratories, Sterilization Unit, automatic heating, cooling, and ventilation system.

At the beginning of 2012, the Red Crescent Polyclinic Building was put into service. Thus, with the new and modern polyclinic building, the health service offered was taken one step further by increasing the service capacity.


Our Sultangazi Haseki Building, which was opened in 2019 and has a closed area of 169345 m2, consisting of 3 blocks, has a total of 700 registered patient beds and 180 Intensive Care beds. All inpatient health services are provided only in our building on this campus. Outpatient health services are provided in our Sultangazi Building, Fatih Haseki Building, and additional service buildings.